From Wikipedia:
The English name, "Easter", and the German, "Ostern", derive from the name of Germanic Goddess of the Dawn (thus, of spring, as the dawn of the year) - called Ēaster, Ēastre, and Ēostre, in various dialects of Old English. In England, the annual festive time in her honor was in the "Month of Easter" or Ēosturmonath, equivalent to April/AprilisBut,
In most languages of Christian societies, other than English, German and some Slavic languages, the holiday's name is derived from Pesach, the Hebrew name of Passover, a Jewish holiday to which the Christian Easter is intimately linked.It's important to remember as Christians why Easter exists for us – to remember the death and resurrection of Jesus for us.
2 comments:
There are two separate occasions that I was asked about Bunnies and Easter.
[rant]
What does bunnies have to do with Easter anyway! Certainly I have no love for bunnies, 'cause they don't do anything except eat and eat.
[/rant]
Anyways, I'm not able to answer the above question. What I am able to do is to tell them Jesus' resurrection and its link to Easter. Hopefully people are more educated next year (yeah right), so I don't have to answer the question of bunnies and Easter once again.
Believe or not, before I came to Canada (go to church), ppl like me (my age, background) in China, most (or all) of my friends think Easter is a holiday of bunny w/candies, eggs.
It is a MUST to spread out the message/info. by every chance!!
Post a Comment